Do You Need Probiotic Supplements?
Do You Know How Important The Health Benefits of Probiotics
Are For the Human Digestive System and So For Your Immune System?
So how ARE the bugs in your gut?
Good probiotic supplements will help friendly bacteria take control in your human digestive system.
You have a few trillion of these bugs playing around in the human digestive system, both good and bad bacteria, with hopefully more of the good than the bad!
They are also called friendly and unfriendly bacteria but with good probiotic supplements, the friendly bacteria will be dominant.
The experts say we should have at least 85% good bacteria and no more than 15% or less, harmful bacteria in the human digestive system for good colon health.
You will have a fair idea if you have enough good bacteria in the digestive system by the way you feel and if your immune system is functioning well.
Around 80% of your immune system originates in the digestive system. There are hundreds of species of good and bad bacteria living in your gut.
This digestive system diagram shows what a pretty big area of your body it takes up…it is an important system to keep healthy for your internal health and immune system.
If you are suffering from any of these, then you will need the health benefits of probiotics for good colon health….
• Are you tired and feeling yuck!
• Constipated or having diarrhea
• Having repeated infections
• Having colds, flu, allergies
• High cholesterol
• Bloating and cramps…and feeling “windy”
• Skin problems
You will find that poor nutrition, physical stress, antibiotics, excessive intake of alcohol will all affect the human digestive system.
In other words the digestive system and your immune system will be struggling and not able to function as they should. With good probiotic supplements these tiny little micro flora running around in the human digestive system will be boosted to a healthy level which will be helping your immune system and so helping with your overall health.
The best probiotics from your probiotic supplements will help the good bacteria thrive and protect your colon health.
The health benefits of probiotics…
If your gut is working as it should be it will filter out all those harmful things such as…
- Nutrient absorption will be improved
- Bowels will be regulated
- You will break down food more efficiently
- Waste processing will be improved
- One of the sure signs that probiotic supplements are needed, one which none of us likes, is bad breath and feeling bloated and “windy”…now that can be very off-putting!
These are a few examples of the key ingredients in a good probiotic supplement:
• Lactobacillus acidophilus
You may have heard of as it is often found in yoghurt and is sometimes taken as a single supplement. This good bacteria helps your digestion and the health of your human digestive system. This can sometimes cause mild “wind” until your gut adjusts to the good bugs doing their work for you….well worth putting up with for a short time to have the health benefits of probiotics.
• Lactobacillus bulgaricus
This is also often found in yoghurt and is sometimes taken as probiotic supplements. This good bacteria helps your digestion and the health of your human digestive system. This can sometimes cause mild “wind” until your gut adjusts to the good bugs doing their work for you….well worth putting up with for a short time for the long term benefit.
• Bifidobacterium bifidum
This good bacteria is normally found in the human digestive system, especially when we are babies. It helps with digestion and is considered helpful in keeping our human digestive system healthy as well.
Naturally occurs in fruit and vegetables and is often used as a food additive because of its sweet taste and the texture. It is a form of soluble fibre and helps with the growth of good bacteria in the colon…food for the good bugs!
• Jerusalem artichoke
This is the root of a plant often ground into flour or eaten as a vegetable. It is a good source of dietry fibre, vitamins and minerals for the digestive system.
• Lipase, Amylase, Invertase
They are enzymes which help digestion in human digestive system.
To have a healthy and vital immune system it is really important to have good probiotic supplements. Not just any old thing from the shelf where the bacteria might be dead or for that matter a pot of yoghurt which will have only a fraction of the good bacteria you need. You can have all the health benefits of probiotics for the human digestive system.
We encourage the following 6 healthy dietary fundamentals that help you to reach and maintain optimum health:
- Our food should be whole, unprocessed, natural and pure.
- Our diet should be 70-80% alkaline and 20-30% acid. Alkaline foods are found in fresh fruits and vegetables. Animal protein, stimulants and spices are particularly acid forming and should be used in moderation.
- We should consume foods in the right proportions. Ideally, 3-5 portions of vegetables and 2-3 pieces of fruits should be eaten daily. Starch / complex carbohydrates, proteins and fats should be consumed according to individual needs and suitability.
- We should consume foods in variety.
- Our diet should be 50- 60% raw foods. Raw foods provides enzymes, vitamins & minerals.
- We should eat foods in moderation. Excess of one or a few particular foods can create deficiencies due to a lack of variety in the diet.
We also recommend the following tips:
- Replace all refined, processed foods by 100% unrefined / whole-foods.
- Avoid sugar containing foods.
- Avoid mucus forming foods such as chocolate, full cream, milk, white bread, red meat, cheese, pastries, cakes and biscuits.
*Do not overcook foods. Cooking destroys nutrients.
*Mixing grains with pulses or beans gives you a good source of complete vegetarian proteins.
*Replace processed butter and margarine with unheated polyunsaturated margarines. (e.g. Vitaquell)
*Use pure butter, cold pressed olive oil or coconut oil for cooking. Do not cook with vegetable oils as they are highly sensitive to heat and light. When exposed, they can turn into carcinogenic molecules. Keep oils in the fridge to stop them going rancid.
*Avoid eating when tired, emotionally upset or when in a hurry. The digestion takes place optimally when you are relaxed.
- Do not eat late at night. The digestive processes start to slow down after 6 p.m. * You must ensure to chew food thoroughly at all times.
- Wash fresh and dried fruits and vegetables to remove the possible chemicals that may be sprayed.
*Do not skip breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
- You may not sure where to start. Simply, you can get rid of rubbish that is not naturally grown. If you tend to choose white / refined products, then you try to choose brown / wholesome products instead. White products are made from wholegrains that are being refined. Refining process removes nutrients and fibre, so these foods are turned into sugars.
When you can change that, now you can start avoiding a product that is allergenic such as wheat. You can replace it with other wholegrains. (see reference below).
*If you eat meat, try to choose poultry. It is healthier option than red meat and processed meat. You can also say the same thing to fish. Oily fish is much better option than white fish and seafood.
- Dairy products particularly cow’s milk products should be minimised because of high fat content. Cow’s milk products tend to be allergenic, too. Goat’s or sheep’s milk products are better options but you make sure that you do not eat them excessively. There are also milk alternatives e.g. soya, oats, almond, hazel nut, quinoa and rice milk etc.
*Foods that you consume should be organically produced where possible. Try to minimise circumstances that expose you to a lack of choice, such as eating out in restaurants, but if it is imperative that you must do so, make smart choices from the menu, and do not be afraid to ask your waiter to make some changes. (read end of literature “smart choices whilst you are out!”). Delay is not a good mindset, so start today and use positive thinking to make the best of those commitments which are unavoidable – THIS IS NOT A “COP-OUT”.
*When shopping read the label before you buy a product. If you see any E numbers or ingredients which you have not heard of, DO NOT BUY THEM! If you see ingredients such as sugars (glucose & other form of sugars), trans fats and hydrogenated fats on the label, you MUST NOT choose it. These are the things that are very unhealthy for you.
We are aiming to eat as nature intended, so buy a steamer, good quality oils – see references below, and get that grill working!! Dismiss your frying pans, take away menus, and microwave for the next seven days!!
*You must make sure to drink water 6-8 glasses (1.5-2 litres) daily. But remember that you should spread this throughout the day, if you try to drink to much in one go your bodies response will be “eeak are you trying to drown me??” followed by a brief visit to the rest rooms as you kidneys will automatically set up diuresis to avoid the above implication!! Another smart move is to drink water either at room or body temperature, as cold water is more easily rejected, try downing a glass of iced water and you may well find that your off to the rest rooms again!! So put that water bottle on your desk or near to hand, and gradually drink it throughout the day. If you would like to know more about the role of water in the body read the end notes for “education is half your cure”.